Everyday, Give Yourself A Present...

Friday, April 23, 2010

Its Really Happening!! MC CHRIS Twin Peaks Tribute Song!!


By now everyone must be somewhat familiar or suspicious of my massive Twin Peaks obsession. Its my comfort show. Im a nerd for most everything David Lynch, but Twin Peaks holds a special place for me. I've sat through the seasons a billion goddamn times and it keeps getting better every time I see it! I know it by and love it with all my heart. Perhaps this means there will have to be a full Peaks blog entry to come in the near future... Anyway, being a complete nerd myself is it any surprise that one of my favorite names in Hip Hop is MC CHRIS? Ive been a fan of his for years and even saw him when he came up to a sparsely attended show at a crappy brewery up here in the north coast. Well now there are two reasons to celebrate.

1. ON April 1st. MC CHRIS added a song to his website. Its a full on tribute to Twin Peaks. I don't think I need to elaborate on how long I've wanted this to happen and how excited I am. Not his greatest song, but definitely up there for me. Amazing!

2. MC CHRIS has just released a new full length record MC CHRIS GOES TO HELL, which continues the sketches and themes from his last album MC CHRIS IS DEAD. HELL actually compiles three short EPs that were previously released as PART 6 part 1, 2 and 3 (666 get it), plus some extras. As with all MC CHRIS albums, the lyrics remain very clever and solid throughout, but what always makes or brakes the songs, for me personally, are the beats and the music. The production has definitely changed since his the days of Fettes Vett and now take on a smoother more club/dance vibe, vocal tuner in full effect and these are the songs I like surprisingly. Or they go the exact opposite direction with glitched out computer distorted beats that don't really work for me. And like all his albums, there are some songs that are good but not great, and then there are the sparkly diamonds that make every MC CHRIS record worth owning. Plus the sketches on the album are almost better than the music. They are obviously improvised and extremely hilarious. In short, even though I already own PART 6 Parts 1 2 and 3 already, Im going to get this record for the few extra songs, all of which Im sure will be entertaining, but one or two of which Im hoping will make me smile and remember why I love MC CHRIS in the first place; hilarious nerd rhymes over pure melody.

No comments:

Post a Comment